Day 4: A Journey Continued (By Anna K)

After spending over forty days over the past four years as a participant in the Falmouth Field School, I am still working to understand the importance of the work we do here. Through my time spent in the small port town of Falmouth, my interest has always fallen in the sociology/film project. With four trip's experience under my belt, this year I am hitting the ground running with the questions I still have unanswered and research left undone, all while furthering the deep connections I have made   in these past years. 

I have decided to take a deeper look into the affects of the port on Falmouth 10 years into its existence and now I am truly understanding why we are here and how important it is that we keep coming back. Throughout my day today, during the countless interviews and snack stops around Water Square, I was constantly being recognized by locals. Of course there's the frequent stop for a quick hello, even with someone I just met, but more importantly I continue conversations with people and further relationships formed years before.

Although talking to the residents of Falmouth is often for my benefit in creating a film, it has grown into reciprocated rapport, creating a special experience when talking with people. In realizing this through conversations with Dr. Lee, I am understanding that these connections I am creating mean something to them as well as it means something to me. 

This really struck me this morning when with a craft trader, Claudine, who we have known since my freshman year. After an interview with her, I remembered that last year when we were talking she had told me she was taking a trip to New York later that year. In my conversation with her, I asked how her trip was. She seemed shocked at the fact I remembered about her trip, and was delighted with the biggest smile to tell me it was amazing. At this moment, it became clear to me why I continue to come back and why it is of such value to have the consistency of being here. Through these ten days a year I've spent with so many people, they've allowed themselves to open up to me and be comfortable talking with me. 

On the first day in town as I go through my list of people I have to say hi to, they seem just as excited to see me as I am to see them. Being a senior now, knowing this is my last trip with Post Oak to Falmouth, it's bittersweet. It's sad to know that my time as a part of the Falmouth Field School is coming to a close, but it's so comforting to know that if I ever found my way back here, I would have people to go to and make it feel like home.

Comments

  1. anna! i am crying! i, like you, know this feeling well. soak it in! give lots of hugs. and give my love to our friends:,)

    ps. i cant help but be happy that you'll meet my record but not beat it;) love you, and that place <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment